Title: External Relations Director
Purpose of Position: The Director of External Relations plays a key role on the senior leadership team at the Fine Arts Work Center. The position leads efforts to raise the profile of the Fine Arts Work Center both locally and nationally and oversees marketing and communications efforts, public relations, as well as supports major donor fundraising efforts.
Communications and Marketing
- Develop and implement an organization-wide, multi-channel communications strategy to raise awareness of the Fine Arts Work Center’s mission and programs.
- Promote creative communications approaches that effectively highlight the vision, legacy, and impact of the Fine Arts Work Center.
- Maintain editorial calendar and align cross-department staff around its successful implementation.
- Oversee the continued development and use of the Fine Arts Work Center brand.
- Oversee social media style guide and implement ongoing digital strategy. Curate compelling content in order to increase engagement on social media channels.
- Lead the creation of all print and digital branded materials, including but not limited to promotional catalogs, print publications such as newsletters and annual reports, website copy, biweekly e-newsletter, and other email communications.
- Develop and implement public relations effort to secure both local and national press. Maintain the Fine Arts Work Center press list. Develop and issue press releases.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees, develop strong relationships with key external audiences such as press, elected officials, philanthropic leaders, arts advocates, and peer organizations. Prepare talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Identify and prioritize field-wide conferences and networking opportunities. Represent the Fine Arts Work Center as needed.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement effective individual donor strategy.
- Develop annual campaign messaging and oversee successful integration of this messaging into year-round outreach and communications efforts, in order to achieve fundraising goal.
- Oversee newly developed major donor membership program.
- Track and report on progress toward individual fundraising goals to the Executive Director and Board of Trustees.
- Take advantage of wealth screening data analytics to prioritize and steward major donor prospects.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Trustees Advancement Committee.
- Supervise part-time Marketing Associate. Promote a culture of quality performance and continuous improvement that values learning and collaboration.
- Manage communications and fundraising-related consultants, such as graphic designers, photographers, and videographers.
- Play a key role in Strategic Plan implementation.
- Five years of experience in non-profit or gallery administration
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing and implementing communications and/or fundraising strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, problem-solve, adhere to deadlines, and work as part of a team
- Interest, knowledge, and background in visual arts or writing
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress, preferred
To apply please complete the following application here:
The Fine Arts Work Center is an equal opportunity provider and employer. The Work Center facilities are accessible to people with disabilities.